Kukmin Daily Newsletter
May 15, 2019
Greetings from Seoul!
While Easter is an important part of the spring season with its new leaves and flowers, it is also the time when Korean Christians remember the April 16 Sewol Ferry disaster and its victims. Arbor Day this year was immediately preceded by a forest fire in Gangwon-do that spread quickly due to strong winds. Firefighters’ devoted efforts quickly contained the fire, but it left great damage. The churches were among the first to provide help. This issue also includes other topics appreciated by our Korean readers.
United worship services celebrate Easter
The Korean churches celebrated Easter on April 21, praising the risen Jesus Christ through united worship services around the country. The churches related the meaning of Easter to their local situations, particularly in Goseong, Gangwon-do, where a forest fire recently destroyed many homes. There the churches not only shared the joy of Jesus’ resurrection but also gave support to those suddenly made homeless. In Seoul, 70 major denominations including the Presbyterian, Methodist, Holiness, Full Gospel and Baptist churches held a united Easter service at Yoido Full Gospel Church, with 12,000 worshipers resolving to renew and restore the world through the powerful Easter spirit of life.
At 5th anniversary of Sewol sinking, a survivor’s hope: “I can be a blessing to others”
Interviewed by Kukmin Daily on April 15 at the Salvation Army Building in Seoul, 22-year old Sewol Ferry disaster survivor Kim Do-yeon said she feels that the Sewol is still sinking. Each April her trauma symptoms, a result of the disaster, worsen to the extent that she has trouble going to sleep. For about three years after the terrible event, she couldn’t share her experience with others, fearing what they might think of her. Then in 2017, she and 10 other Sewol survivors (high school students at the time of the sinking) went on a quiet, short-term mission trip to Cambodia with the Korean Salvation Army.
In Cambodia, she felt accepted. “I realized that my existence was not negative for everyone, but could be something precious. It wasn’t that I was not sad. But now I try my best to laugh. Please understand the difference.” Though she still fights the trauma, she has resolved to get beyond her sadness. The solution she has found is to care for others. Now a college student, she distributes yellow ribbons on her campus every April 16th, reminding her fellow students to remember April 16 and to be “precious neighbors.”
Shincheonji lures new members; churches expand Bible study groups
The proselytizing methods of the Shinchonji Church of Jesus the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony (Shincheonji), designated as a heretical group by major Korean church denominations, is cleverly enticing new believers with “work opportunities.” Their short-term, part-time jobs offering “quick, easy money” are actually fake humanities lectures aimed at converting participants to Shincheonji beliefs. For its 35th founding anniversary this year, Shincheonji has assigned its younger members a quota of new converts to bring into the cult.
Previously Shincheonji worked through face-to-face contacts, registering Christians for brainwashing in “gospel rooms.” Recently they are distributing flyers to recruit part-timers at high pay (9,000~12,000 won/hour) for attendance at lectures, calling this “work.” According to an insider, Shincheonji leader Lee Man-hui is planning a gathering of all 12 Shincheonji “tribes” for the anniversary celebration, along with a graduation party for new members. Thus the younger members have been instructed to register 12,000 new members with the gospel rooms so as to get them through the 6-month Shincheonji education required for graduation.
Experts on heretical groups say the Korean church should play a more effective role in countering Shincheonji, especially to prevent wrong understanding of the Bible. Park Yeong-taek, director of the Korean Christian Association for Heresy Counseling, said, “Because ordinary people don’t know the Bible well, many are taken in by Shincheonji claims…Churches should operate more small-group Bible study programs, and lower the threshold for participation, opening them to non-believers also.”
“Let’s do what we can”: Churches extend help to forest fire victims
The forest fire that started around 7:17 on the evening of April 4 in Goseong-gun, Gangwon-do, spread rapidly due to strong winds, and soon engulfed a huge area. Within a few hours it had completely destroyed 1,757 hectares of forest, along with 916 houses and other facilities. Two persons died and 11 were injured in the fire; and 4,000 residents were evacuated. As the blaze was brought under control, many churches sent helping hands to the affected area. Pastors and church members cooperated in assisting the victims, starting with those in greatest difficulty. They brought food and other daily necessities, offered temporary living spaces in church buildings, and served coffee. A volunteer said, “Even though the number of casualties is low compared to the size and strength of the fire, it’s still a devastating situation for those who have lost houses, clothing and food; and some of the local churches also have suffered big losses. Let’s do what we can, following the model of Christ’s love.”
Interview with Fr. Joo Nak-Hyon Joseph, new head of Seoul Anglican Cathedral
Fr. Joo Nak-Hyon Joseph (photo below), installed on March 3 as the new head priest of the Seoul Cathedral of the Anglican Church of Korea, said, “I hope this cathedral, located as it is in the center of the city, will be a small resting place for today’s people living busy lives. I hope that when they come here they will feel, ‘There is a different world from everyday life!’” The Cathedral holds a Noon Concert, open to the public, every Wednesday during spring and fall. 30% of its entire budget goes to support local churches and social missions. Fr. Joo wants the Cathedral to offer hospitality to all its neighbors. “As a Christian church, our role is to cultivate rational, deep-thinking people of faith, and to give the world new expectations and hope,” he said. “Only when a church listens closely to people’s spiritual longings and society’s sufferings, can it be a church that changes the world.”
박여라 기자 firstname.lastname@example.org
Kukmin Daily Newsletter (Issue 5)
입력 2019-05-15 11:35
많이 본 기사
- 대한신학대학원대, 이단 평강제일교회에 매각되나
- JMS 전자발찌 찬 교주를 보았니?
- ‘골목 지킴이’ 작은 교회의 아름다운 섬김
- [이지현의 두글자 발견 : 질문] 침묵하는 하나님, 고난 왜 주실까
- “깡패 근성 일본에 한 방 제대로...” 김동호 목사 페북 글 화제
- [겨자씨] 잘못된 경로
- “힘을 내”… 고난 앞 이웃에 ‘값싼 위로’는 이제 그만
- [크리스천 청년 위한 연애학개론] 내가 좋아하는 사람 vs 나를 좋아하는 사람
- 자식 망치는 지름길은 부부싸움
- [가정예배 365-8월 20일] 목마른 두 사람
- 오늘의 QT (2019.8.20)
- 포항 ‘헤세드 아시아 포 재팬’ 참가한 일본인 배우 미사와 신고
- (영상) 방송인 정선희 “하나님 어떻게 이렇게 사랑하시나요?”
- [이달의 찬양] 나의 한숨을 바꾸셨네 (김사라, 천상혁 ver.)
- “피해자가 용서할 때까지 가해자가 사죄해야 진정한 화해”
- ‘그리스도론’ 국내 대표 신학자 김동건 3부작 완결판… 미국·영국 동시 출간 후 해외서 큰 반향
- [오늘의 설교] 신앙의 비밀을 간직하자
- ‘주여…’ 한 여름밤 금정산에 기도 메아리 울리다
- [박종순 목사의 신앙상담] 자기 편 아니면 사단으로 모는 중직자가 있는데…
- “의식 잃고 투병 중인 아내 극복 위해 기도해주세요”
- ‘설렘가득한 소감’ 배우 정가람, '좋아하면 울리는'제작발표회
- ‘매력 넘치는 비주얼’ 배우 송강, '좋아하면 울리는'제작발표회
- ‘점점 더 예뻐지는’ 배우 김소현, '좋아하면 울리는'제작발표회
- ‘로켓펀치’ ‘더쇼’ 200회 특집 출연, 레드벨벳 ‘러시안룰렛’ 스페셜 무대
- ‘덕화다방’ 전영록 ‘내 사랑 울보’로 추억의 라이브쇼
- ‘몬스타엑스’ 美 빌보드 팝송즈 차트인, 글로벌 위상 입증
- ‘너의 노래를 들려줘’ 김세정 잃어버린 기억 조각 찾을까?
- ‘미스터 기간제’ 대본공유부터 잔망포즈까지 비하인드 공개!
- 여섯 소녀의 반전 매력 ‘에버글로우 랜드’ 2화 방송 공개
- 키썸, 오늘(20일) 4th 미니앨범 ‘예술’ 발매…
- ‘도시경찰:KCSI’ 조재윤, 현장에서 혈흔 증거 발견!
- ‘솔로가수’ 장대현, 콘셉트 포토 공개…힙한 비주얼로 시선 압도
- ‘프로듀스 X 101’ 강석화, 설인아·김동한·장대현과 한솥밥
- 디원스, 방탄소년단 ‘DNA’ 스페셜 퍼포먼스…‘더쇼’ 200회 특집 출격
- X1(엑스원), 단체 콘셉트 이미지 속 11人 11色 반전 매력
- 문빈·옹성우, 공감 100% ‘절친 힐링 케미’ 자연스러움 UP
- 여섯 명의 여신들 ‘에버글로우’
- ‘에버글로우’ 매력적인 눈동자 아샤
- 치명적인 미소의 이런 ‘에버글로우’
- 아름다운 미소의 이유 ‘에버글로우’
- [아직 살만한 세상] 노숙자에게 신발 벗어주고 맨발로 떠난 백발 뉴요커(영상)
- [아직 살만한 세상] “차에 깔린 채 쓰러진 할머니, 마냥 기다릴 순 없었습니다”
- [사연뉴스] 먼저 떠난 아내의 모교 찾아간 89살 남편
- 6년 전 철로 추락한 시민 목숨 구한 간호대생의 반가운 근황
- “다문화 아이들 꿈 펼쳤으면” 최강창민, 어린이재단에 5천만원 기부
- “아이들 꿈꾸는데 보탬되길”… 혜리, 유니세프에 1억 기부
- 밥솥 찾아 고물상 뒤진 경찰 덕에…1600만원 찾은 40대男
- 숨 멈춘 16개월 아기 살려낸 대구 파출소 경찰들 (영상)
- [아직 살만한 세상] 해병대원, 피흘리는 생면부지 할머니 도운 사연
- [아직 살만한 세상] “결식아동 꿈나무카드 안 받겠다”는 파스타집
- 신호탄 터뜨리고 온몸으로 ‘88세 역주행차’ 막은 순찰대(인터뷰)
- “열차에 둔 스트레스, 제가 다 빗자루로 쓸어담을게요”(인터뷰)
- [아직 살 만한 세상] “힘들고 지친 일, 열차에 모두 놓고 내리세요”
- “사람 쓰러졌는데 주위에서 손대지 말라더라”(영상)
- [아직 살만한 세상] “횡단보도 갇힌 할머니, 그냥 지나칠 수 없었습니다”
- [아직 살만한 세상] “배달 중 차를 긁었는데 눈물 나네요ㅠㅠ”
- [아직 살만한 세상]소양2교 난간의 20대男 등 토닥인 중년의 행인(영상)
- 저수지 빠져 숨 멈춘 할아버지, 그때 나타난 ‘슈퍼 히어로’(인터뷰)
- 강원 산불에 1억5000만원 몰래 기부한 사람
- “쓰러진 윗집 아이…두려웠지만 CPR 내가 해야겠다 생각”